Living our school values in the local community and wider world are focal aspects of school life and we aim to be good neighbours.
Each term we actively seek new opportunities and ways of linking to the wider community. We work closely with Thomas’s Foundation to support and develop local links and partnerships and recent projects have included:
- A Years 5 & 6 drama group visiting a local sheltered housing association to speak to residents and perform a play based on their memories of Christmas
- All Reception children making regular visits to the local Age UK day centre to spend time with elderly local residents
- Year 6 children from local primary schools experiencing lessons in the Thomas’s Fulham Science laboratories
- Community Day for all children in Years 5 & 6 whereby they devoted time to a variety of organisations including local primary schools, nurseries, South Park and the local Foodbank
- A whole school ‘Nepal Day’ where every child ran the ‘Kilometres for CAIRN’ in order to raise money for the CAIRN trust
We have a particularly close link with Thomas's Academy, SW6. To date this has included: a Latin teaching outreach project; staff professional development opportunities; pupil swaps on Community Days and linked curriculum activities.
Through the PTA and the Thomas’s Foundation, a wide programme of parent reading support and community arts, sports and academic activities reach a very large number of local children and this is continuing to grow.
The CAIRN Trust, which is a charity set up by our founders Mr and Mrs Thomas, gives a focus to our world-wide work through the provision of schools, teacher training and libraries to children in Nepal and significant charity awareness work with our pupils in school.