Classics is a thriving and popular subject at all of the Thomas’s schools for pupils from Year 5 upwards. We believe that a Classical education deserves a very modern classroom; a rigorous approach to grammar teaching is therefore combined with substantial use of apps, games, digital archaeology and collaborative group work.
We aim to enable pupils to:
- Acquire the secure understanding of Latin grammar needed to translate texts confidently.
- Develop their skills of creative problem solving and lateral thinking.
- Make connections between Latin, Greek and English that deepen their understanding of English grammar and syntax, and broaden their vocabularies.
- Recognise and appreciate the impact of Classical history and cultures on the art, literature, politics and languages of the modern world.
- Enjoy learning about the myths and legends of ancient Greece and Rome.